Like most students, I am definitely not pleased that school is starting (…because 4 months of summer was NOT enough!). Granted this year will be the last year of my university experience, it’s also bittersweet. I’ve made some awesome friends and began my journey of self- discovery.
Here is a list of prep I try to do before school starts. Yes, I know it’s going to suck the first couple of weeks…let’s be realistic, the first month. So, hopefully this will ease the pain.
- Get a calendar if you don’t have one. Calendars or agendas are a great way of keeping track of your timetable, due dates, contact information and of course, the things that you actually need to do to pass your courses.
- Edit your music playlist. There’s something about good music that always seems to get you in the mood regardless of how tedious and annoying your chore may be. I always play music when I do laundry or even wash the dishes. It makes time go by so much faster, especially during your commute to school! You can even make a homework playlist or study list to make studying for tolerable!
- Pack your lunch. This is something that your mom probably told you, taught you to do or is doing for you until now (there’s no shame on the latter! Everyone’s gotta eat!). Bad circumstances seems to get worse than they actually are when you’re HUNGRY. Oh I’m sorry, HANGRY (hungry + angry)!
- Now, while you have the ball rolling, see if you can do a little breakfast prep while packing your lunch too! Because I already know, you’re not going to sleep early and of course wake up on time. Cut up some fruits for a quick fruit salad or smoothie in the morning. You may also have some pre-cooked oatmeal in a bowl or something totally easy, boil some eggs for a few hard boiled eggs to munch on your way to the bus stop.
- Set THREE different alarms. Why 3? Because you know you’ll sleep through the first alarm, the second will somewhat wake you up and the third you’ll get annoyed of the sound enough to get up. So instead of keeping on hitting the snooze button, just have 3. If this doesn’t work, place your alarm (in my case my phone) far away from your bedside. It will force you to get up to turn the alarm off.
- Turn the radio on as you’re getting dressed/ready. This is so simple but very enjoyable. I take about an hour to take a shower, get dressed, do my make up and pack my bag. As I do these things, the radio is blasting away with morning mixes, traffic updates and commercials here and there. Besides, morning DJ’s are hilarious!
Enjoy the your first day, week and month of school! The faster you get into your groove and follow a routine the faster you’ll get to enjoy school again with your friends, classes, or sports teams.
If you haven’t alread, check out my previous post on a list of basic kitchen essentials! Can you survive without mom around?